WHITE CHOCOLATE, FRUIT & COCONUT CREAM TRIFLE
Recipe by Samantha Hadadi and Del Monte
For the white chocolate sponge:
- 200g butter, cut into cubes (dairy-free, if needed)
- 150g white chocolate, chopped
- 150g golden caster sugar
- One egg or egg replacement, at room temperature
- 120g natural yoghurt or coconut yoghurt
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g plain flour or gluten-free alternative
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
- Pinch salt For the white chocolate frosting:
- 200g butter, at room temperature (use vegan, if needed)
- 200g icing sugar, sifted
- 80g white chocolate, melted
- For the cream (see notes for a vegan / dairy-free alternative)
- 600g mascarpone
- 500ml double cream
- 3 tbsp icing sugar (or more, to taste)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the fruit filling:
- 2 cans Del Monte Fruit Cocktail in Juice
- 70g white chocolate (vegan, if needed)
- Glace cherries, to decorate (optional) Preparation Time: 1 hour Baking/Setting Time: 2 hours
1) Start by making your sponge. Preheat your oven to 170C, then line a 10 inch by 7-inch baking tray. Gently melt together your butter and chopped white chocolate, stirring constantly to prevent it from catching. Once melted, remove from the heat and stir in the sugar until combined. Set aside for 5-10 minutes to cool. Don’t worry if the butter separates.
2) In a mixer or using an electric whisk, beat the cooled butter / chocolate / sugar mixture for a few minutes. Add in the egg and beat for 30 seconds more. Add in the yoghurt and beat until combined and creamy.
3) In a bowl, stir together the flours, baking powder and salt. Sift into your wet mixture and fold to combine. Test your batter. It should fall in a “soft dollop” from your mixing spoon. If it’s a little thin, add the extra coconut flour, 1/2 a tablespoon at a time
4) Spoon into the prepared tin, then place in the oven to bake for 30-35 minutes until cooked through, checking the cake at 27 minutes and covering if it is browning too quickly. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
5) Next, make your buttercream. Beat together the butter and icing sugar for a few minutes until pale and fluffy. Add in the melted white chocolate and beat to combine. Spread over your cooled cake, then cut into “fingers”. Set aside.
6) Make your trifle cream by beating together the cream and the mascarpone until beginning to thicken. Add in the icing sugar and vanilla and beat until you reach the texture you desire.
7) Now, assemble your trifle. Arrange half of your cake fingers on the bottom of a 20cm trifle bowl, then drain one can of your Fruit Cocktail in Juice. Spoon over the fruit.
8) Next, spoon over half of your cream, then arrange the remaining sponge on top. Drain the remaining can of Del Monte Fruit Cocktail and scatter the fruit on top, then spoon over the remaining half of cream. Grate over the remaining white chocolate and serve chilled. N.B. For a dairy-free / vegan alternative to the cream: For the coconut cream: 4 x 400g cans full-fat coconut milk, placed in the fridge overnight
5 tbsp maple syrup (or more, to taste – can also use icing sugar to taste) 1 tbsp vanilla extract Scoop the “coconut cream” from the tops of the cooled coconut milk cans, then beat this cream with the remaining ingredients until light and fluffy. Save the coconut water for fruit smoothies.
For further information visit https://www.delmonteeurope.com/ or follow us on Twitter @DelMonteEurope or Facebook @delmonteeurope