Roasted butternut & Parmesan soup
This wonderfully simple, flavoursome soup is just the thing to keep the cold at bay. A small amount provides goodness if you have a tiny appetite.
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 45 minutes
1.25kg butternut squash
Sprigs of thyme, for roasting
Olive oil, for drizzling
200g onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1.25l chicken or vegetable stock
100g Parmesan, finely grated
100ml double cream (optional)
Sea salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4.
- Put the squash on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, top with sprigs of thyme and roast for 25 minutes or until golden.
- Meanwhile, soften the onions and garlic in the butter.
- Add the stock and roasted squash.
- Cook until soft, then blend until smooth.
- Stir in the Parmesan and season to taste.
- Finish with a swirl of double cream, if extra calories are needed.
Credit Jane Clarke, Dietician and Founder of Nourish Drinks and www.nourishbyjaneclarke.com
Jane is both a dietitian and Cordon Bleu chef with more than 30 years’ experience in the nutrition industry. She is the author of nine best-selling books, was a columnist for over a decade for The Daily Mail, Observer, The Times and The Mail on Sunday, and regularly contributes on TV. She worked with Jamie Oliver on several of his projects, including the School Meals revolution, which showed that people-power can bring about social change. It is with this same mindset and passion that she is leading Nourish by Jane Clarke, which provides a solution to the problem of undernourishment and provides empowerment and inspiration to those who are vulnerable or facing a health challenge, such as Dementia.