Pigeon Breast with Caramelized Shallots Comfit, Orange and Port Jus
Ingredients for the Pigeon
• Pigeon breasts 8 each
• Orange peel 1 each
• Lemon peel 1 each
• Rapeseed oil 1tsp
• Unsalted butter 10g
• Peel the orange and lemon and remove the pith from the peel. Using the peel, cut thickly and place in a oven at 50C for 3 hours to dry. Once completely dried, pulse with a little blender to a powder.
• Season the pigeon and cover each one with the dried orange mix.
• Drizzle some rapeseed oil in a roasting tray and place the pigeon in the middle of the tray, cook in a preheated oven at 200c for 4 to 5 minutes. Let the meat rest for 8 to 10 minutes and serve with the caramelized shallots and the jus.
Ingredients for the caramelized Shallot Comfit
• Banana shallot 4 whole
• Vegetable stock 450ml
• Icing sugar to dust
• Rapeseed oil 1 tbsp.
• Balsamic vinegar 1 tbsp .
• Water 1 tsp.
• Season to taste.
• Blanch the shallots whole in the vegetable stock until fully cooked. Take them out of the liquid and place on a kitchen paper.
• Once cold, cut each shallot into two, straight through the middle. Dust the flat side with the icing sugar. Pour the oil in a non-stick frying pan and heat up.
• Place the shallots face down in the pan and leave until the icing sugar has caramelized, (about one minute.) Deglaze with the vinegar and water and leave to cook for a further 2 minutes. Take off the shallots, season to taste and serve.