Melty Mushroom Wellingtons…
This smart all-in-one vegetarian main from Tesco, is perfect for entertaining. Even the meat eaters will love them!
• 750g lighter ready-rolled puff pastry
• 4 medium-sized Portobello mushrooms
• 2tbsp olive oil
• 15g (1/2oz) dried porcini mushrooms
• 1 large shallot, finely diced
• 200g (7oz) chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped
• Few sprigs of thyme, leaves picked
• 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 300g (10oz) spinach, large stalks removed
• squeeze lemon juice
• 150g (5oz) Camembert, sliced
• 1 small free-range egg, beaten
• Rocket salad, dressed with lemon juice and
• Olive oil
• Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 7, 220°C, fan 200°C. Using a pastry cutter or saucer, cut out 4 x 12cm (5in) circles of pastry and place on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave them to cool.
• Cut out 4 x 14cm (5 1/2in) circles of pastry and set aside on nonstick baking paper. Use the trimmings to cut out 12 leaves as decoration for the Wellingtons. Place the leaves on the baking paper beside the circles and chill.
• Remove stalks from the Portobello mushrooms. Heat half the oil in a large frying pan and fry all mushrooms over a high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden and cooked through.
• Soak the porcini mushrooms in boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain, reserving the soaking water, then chop finely. Place the frying pan back over a medium heat with the remaining oil, add the shallot, chestnut mushrooms and thyme leaves, season well and fry for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and chopped porcini and fry for another 3-4 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed.
• Put the spinach into a colander, pour boiling water over to wilt it, and squeeze out the excess water. Place on a chopping board, squeeze over some lemon juice and season well. Toss it all together and chop roughly.
Divide the chopped spinach between the cooked circles of pastry, making sure you leave a 1cm (1/2in) border of pastry clear. Now divide the chopped mushroom mixture and carefully spoon over the spinach. Add a slice of Camembert and top each circle with a Portobello mushroom. Season well.
Brush the border of each circle with beaten egg, then stretch the larger circle of pastry and chill the Wellingtons for 10 minutes.
Once chilled, press the edges firmly with a fork. Then brush the Wellingtons all over with beaten egg, decorate each one with 3 pastry leaves and chill until ready to bake in the over for 25 mins.
Top tips for entertaining vegetarians
1. Not all vegetarians like strong cheese, so don’t assume this is a good subsitute when entertaining.
2. When you cook with spices, herbs, and seasonings, you get a better, more flavorful dish, whether there is meat included or not.