Have you tried Kimchi?
Introducing Roots of Kimchi – authentic Korean kimchi made in the UK
A perfect fusion of Korean heritage and modern British artisan production, Roots of Kimchi is a new brand of kimchi made in the UK with truly fresh, natural ingredients. Both organic and non-organic options are available. Packed with flavour, Roots of Kimchi is created in small batches to authentic family recipes by a Korean chef, delivering a taste sensation undiscovered by British consumers until now.
Manufactured to the highest quality standards, Roots of Kimchi is the brainchild of Midlands-based entrepreneur Robert Peacock and Korean-born chef Seo, who identified that there was a gap for a genuinely authentic organic Korean kimchi product in the UK market. Both enthusiastic fans of the dish, they teamed up to deliver a truly unique range that they hope will appeal to food connoisseurs and health-conscious consumers alike.
What is kimchi?
Kimchi is a staple in Korean cuisine. The most popular traditional side dish in Korea, it is a blend of salted and fermented vegetables, such as napa cabbage and Korean radish, made with a widely varying selection of seasonings including chilli, spring onions, garlic and ginger.
Rob Peacock, co-director at Roots of Kimchi, said, “Many British people will never have heard of kimchi, but we’re determined to change that. Not only is it delicious and bursting with flavour, but it offers a host of nutritional advantages as part of a balanced diet. Our range of Kimchi for Kids is also a particularly good way to encourage children to consume more vegetables, as it’s a fun and tasty new food for them to try.”
Julia Davies, nutritional therapist and consultant to Roots of Kimchi, commented, “I often recommend kimchi to my clients as a way of introducing wholesome, nutritious vegetables to their regime, and because the positive impact of kimchi on the gut and the immune system is so profound. Gut health is more important than ever these days and the market really needed an organic range of authentic kimchi. It’s fantastic that the Roots of Kimchi team has delivered it. I particularly like that the range includes kimchi for children, too.”
Facts about kimchi
1. An average of 40 pounds (18kg) of kimchi is consumed per person per year in Korea, and it is considered Korea’s national dish.
2. There are hundreds of varieties of kimchi made with different vegetables as the main ingredients.
3. Kimchi contains high levels of lactic acid bacteria (108~9/ml), organic acids, vitamins, minerals, dietary fibre and other functional components beneficial to health. It is considered a nutraceutical food. (1)
4. Helping to improve digestion and gut health, many studies have reported the benefits of kimchi including positive values such as being anti-oxidative, anti-atherosclerotic, anti-diabetic, anti-obesity, and more. (2), (5)
5. Kimchi contains living micro-organisms which are amplified during fermentation. In addition to the benefits of lactic acid bacteria, kimchi has probiotic effects. (4)
6. Kimchi also includes vitamin B, vitamin C, carotenoids, chlorophylls, indole-3-carbinol, flavonoids and unsaturated fatty acids. (1)
7. By maintaining good gut health, kimchi can help fight bacterial and viral infections. 70-80% of our immune system is in the gut.
8. Clinical research has shown that kimchi may decrease insulin resistance and increase insulin sensitivity, while improving glucose tolerance. (3) It is also low in calories.
Roots of Kimchi organic products are certified by the Organic Food Federation.
For more information on Roots of Kimchi, please visit: https://www.rootsofkimchi.com/