Ingredients for the Pigeon
• Pigeon breasts 8 each
• Orange peel 1 each
• Lemon peel 1 each
• Rapeseed oil 1tsp
• Unsalted butter 10g
• Peel the orange and lemon and remove the pith from the peel. Using the peel, cut thickly and place in a oven at 50C for 3 hours to dry. Once completely dried, pulse with a little blender to a powder.
• Season the pigeon and cover each one with the dried orange mix.
• Drizzle some rapeseed oil in a roasting tray and place the pigeon in the middle of the tray, cook in a preheated oven at 200c for 4 to 5 minutes. Let the meat rest for 8 to 10 minutes and serve with the caramelized shallots and the jus.
Ingredients for the caramelized Shallot Comfit
• Banana shallot 4 whole
• Vegetable stock 450ml
• Icing sugar to dust
• Rapeseed oil 1 tbsp.
• Balsamic vinegar 1 tbsp .
• Water 1 tsp.
• Season to taste.
• Blanch the shallots whole in the vegetable stock until fully cooked. Take them out of the liquid and place on a kitchen paper.
• Once cold, cut each shallot into two, straight through the middle. Dust the flat side with the icing sugar. Pour the oil in a non-stick frying pan and heat up.
• Place the shallots face down in the pan and leave until the icing sugar has caramelized, (about one minute.) Deglaze with the vinegar and water and leave to cook for a further 2 minutes. Take off the shallots, season to taste and serve.
Makes 4 portions
For over twenty years, Franck Pontais has been creating the finest gastronomic experiences for celebrities, large corporations and small groups of friends and family. For more information or to hire Franck see www.franckpontais.com.